tisdag 6 november 2012

Atomic brain invasion (2010)



Dear diary,

I have a problem. Yesterday I was watching the low budget scificomedy Atomic brain invasion and soon found myself in an uncomfortable situation. About half an hour into the movie (just about when those glorious alien brain hand puppets started to appear) my girlfriend walked into the living room and sat down beside me, expecting me to turn off the movie and watch something that isnt specifically interesting to just me. Now, for some mysterious reason, I didn’t. I just continued watching the movie. At first she didn’t say anything but as the movie progressed and the humor got sillier and sillier as more brain puppets popped up she started cringing and sighing with an increasing rate. It was obvious that she was getting more and more frustrated and it wasn’t until we were close to the climax of the movie that I relented and paused it to finish it later that night, in order to save the sanctity of our relationship and increase the chances of getting laid in the near future.

My problem is this: Even though we have been together for more than ten years, should I really accept all this sighing and negative commentary from her, especially when the brain puppets are as cool as this one. I will admit that the movie is very silly but it is lovingly so, this is a flick that shows its influences like open heart surgery. Yes, the acting walks a very fine line between uneven as hell and over the top as hell but it is clear that the actors are having so much cheesy fun. The only fault I find with it is that it favors being corny instead of being violent and filled with nudity, but part of that might come from watching the same crews awesome Disco Exorcist just a couple of days earlier. It is what it is, a cheesy low budget tribute to 50s scififlicks and as such not a bad way of spending 90 minutes of your life. And those brain puppets are awesome.


Then again, my girlfriend sat down with me while I was watching Hypothermia the day before, was caught up in it and admitted that she really liked it, in spite of the worst monster costume since Zaat. I'll give her a year or two.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Ten years and still sighing?
    We're not there yet but I have already dragged my fiancee to a few sessions of Jesus Franco and more obscure stuff.
    There is hope for us!

    SvaraRadera
  2. It's been a while since I've read your blog simply because I've decided to only read one Swedish film blog and I read the Cinezilla blog (which doesn't make sense as that guy is a Pommy bastard anyway but, hey, I never claimed to make sense). However, this post is way cool and I'll start checking out your blog again - so please only write good entires. Thanks.

    SvaraRadera