onsdag 20 januari 2010

Gojira aka Godzilla (1954)


Since there's been quite some time since I saw a lot of the Godzillamovies, I decied it is time to watch them all over again, but this time in order. I suppose this is a good way to o.d on rubber, but what the hell, it's a nice way to go. I'll only watch 1 or 2 a week though, starting with the original. Gojira. The classic.

We all know the plot. Nuclear tests mutates a dinosaur into a giant, firebreathing beast that starts to move towards Tokyo, and soon turns it into a pile of rubble, not even trying to disguise the fact that is a response from the events in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945, which makes the movie so much more horrible. The special effects are very clearly effects, but the black and white and the details of the buildings makes it totally belivable. As far as effectswork go, Gojira is still on par with most of the sequels (and much better than quite a few of the Jun Fukuda movies).

It is as hard for me to praise a movie as it is to totally destroy one. When a movie is a good as this one, I dont want to analyze its good bits with a thousand words, I just want to bow before it, point towards it and say "Behold, the glory and perfection that is Gojira (1954). It is that good. There is nothing of the camp and silly stuff that came with most of the sequels (which in itself is an awesome thing, just not really comparable with the original) and Gojira truly deserves it's classic status. That's it. I have nothing more to say.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Well, if nothing else you could have told us what you think of the American version, "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" that came out back then. It wasn't even till very recently that the Japanese version was made available in the West. Until a couple yrs back you could only get the dubbed Raymond Burr version. So how do they compare in your view?

    SvaraRadera
  2. I'm gonna watch that one next. Since I only have it on a rather crappy dvd I ordered the Classic media release and as soon as I get it, I'll do a review of it. :)

    SvaraRadera